Groot is nicknamed baby elephant because nothing he does is delicate! He will step on your toes and then look at you funny when you ask him to move along. He also thinks he’s a lapdog, and he is not entirely wrong as he makes for a very cozy weighed blanket. Groot is the best snuggle buddy you will find!
Groot loves to deconstruct and learn how things are made, and also how they taste, so it is ESSENTIAL that he only be given durable, size-appropriate chews and toys that he cannot swallow. Initial supervision is a must with new toys to determine if they are Groot-approved. And when you are not around to watch him, being crated is required to keep him happiest.
Groot loves to play with other dogs and while he gets along with all dogs he is better suited to play with dogs closer to his size. He is not keen on sharing his toys and chews; therefore, if adopted in a multi dog home, he will need to be separated when he has valuable items. For this reason though, we think he would be great as an only dog as long as he gets who has playdates scheduled without toys around. Because he is in his adolescent phase, as an only dog, multiple playdates a week is recommended in order to keep him social with other dogs. He currently lives with two cats and has learned to respect their space but he might try to play if he is feeling frisky!
We are currently working on some commands but Groot would thrive in positive reinforcement obedience classes. This would also help his new owner bond with him, which he will need in order to fully trust his person. He loves his walks and his leash manners are coming along nicely so if you are keen on regular walks, this guy is your pal!
- Breed: American Bulldog Mix
- Sex: Male
- Age: 11 mos. old
- Size: 35kgs
- Colour: White / Tan
- Spayed/Neutered: Yes
- Stage: Available
- Dogs: Great on walks! For an in-home buddy? Possibly! Details below!
- Cats: Yes, dog savvy cats only, please!
- Kids: 12+ and comfortable with big dogs!
- Housing Type: Single or townhome where some barking is allowed.
- Fenced Yard: Required
- Special: Looking for a home near Ottawa area or near Montreal with folks willing to travel near the South-East end of Ottawa for a meet and greet. Preference will be given to adopters willing to take him to obedience class.
- Adoption Fee: $750