Kente is a solid young fellow and is excited about the world. Despite being 3 years old, this guy still has some manners to learn and his foster family is on the job! Kente is learning to sit when he wants something, but when excited, he can be seen jumping, mouthing and being a bit of a bug! So while he is super cute, he very much needs a person or couple willing to continue to invest in his training with positive reinforcement. Kente may initially mark in a new home, so a belly band and frequent outside trips are needed. He is definitely on the way to being housetrained, but of course, in new situations, this might regress initially. Regular trips outside will be needed when he is not crated. He can be at home for a full 8-hour day but he must he would love a walk before being left for the day. He is crate trained and this is a must as he can get bored and chew on inappropriate things. The good news is he likes his crate. It is where he eats his food and sleeps quietly at night too. We think he could be loose to sleep with proper puppy-proofing 😉
Kente loves to be with his people and interact. He loves napping with his person too after a good walk. Speaking of walks, he is a super fan of walks and will get you out and about! He does pull on leash so this is a work in progress. He is not fearful in the city and is very happy investigating the world. He is great on car rides too as he hopes it will mean more walks!
***Kente does have some mild resource guarding that is being worked with. This is only with high valued items and so trading for treats is a must.***
When it comes to meeting people, slow and calm wins the race! He is a good communicator and will grumble if things are scary, so it is important that his people advocate for proper introductions which means allowing him to access people when he is ready (and they are too) and treats really help too. After 5-10 minutes of calm interaction with anyone, he is friendly and welcoming! Keep in mind, once you are in his circle, he may get excited and turn into a mouthy jumping bean! Clear expectations and treats will help!
If this happy guy sounds like the right match for you, please apply at http://www.sitwithme.ca/kente
- Breed: Corgi mix
- Sex: Male
- Age: 3 yrs. 2 mos. old
- Size: Medium
- Colour: Tan
- Spayed/Neutered: Yes
- Stage: Available
- Dogs: Yes but MUST be okay with rough play and should be easy going dogs.
- Cats: Unknown, but as we cannot test, we feel no cats at this time.
- Kids: No, thank you. While he will warm up to dog-savvy kids visiting, he would prefer an older crowd.
- Housing Type: Single detached ideal, but townhomes where barking is okay could work.
- Fenced in yard: Securely fenced in yard required!
- Special: Kente is still sometimes puppy like in his play and manners, and can be mouthy and pushy at times. We would love to see a couple interested in taking training classes to learn with Kente! We are seeking a placement within 2 hours of the Ottawa/Gatineau area and any applicants must be willing to travel to Gatineau for a meet and greet.
- Adoption fee: $750 – this will help cover a portion of the flight cost as well as the preventative medication. He is neutered, vaccinated, on heartworm (6 months) and tick prevention (3 months), and microchipped. He has also been accuplex tested (heartworm and tick disease test). Adopters must commit to keeping their new dog on tick prevention for this season and repeat an accuplex test in December with their vet to qualify for adoption.