Olive is a dog that needs a very special person who will be patient with her and she especially needs someone who will love to hang out and cuddle a lot. Olive is a medium energy dog who enjoys 2 or so 30 minute walks a day, followed by cuddles, cuddles and more cuddles. Another appropriate nickname for Olive would be shadow, since she truly loves her person with her whole heart. She makes for a great work-at-home sidekick and will be happy to earn co-worker of the month status for all of your months together! Olive does fine in her crate for the day, so someone who works in the office for a few days a week would be ok too.
Olive would be a great match for someone who loves to go on weekend adventures. She is an accomplished hiker and jogger and has a perky spirit that makes her a fantastic co-pilot on road trips. She does not love water but she is brave enough that getting used to a canoe or kayak would be no-sweat with the proper positive encouragement. She has a rather wonderful trait of being able to moderate her energy levels – she can keep up with you for a full day adventure, but is also happy to have a laid-back snuggle on rainy days. She does need to be crated if you are gone for longer periods as she can get into things, though an empty space that has been puppy-proofed fully would be okay too. When left she will sometimes bark and complain for a bit, but settles in short time. Attached housing is just not ideal due to this.
Olive does live with other dogs, but mostly ignores them. With slow introductions she does fine with other dogs, but she barks and tugs on the leash when she sees other dogs on walks (she is making good progress with this behavior and with consistent positive-training she will likely overcome this). She does not want to be in conflict, but she is vocal. She will tell other dogs clearly (vocalizing via grumbles) that she needs her space and we truly appreciate that she is so communicative. She has never escalated beyond this, but it’s obvious that the company of animals does not bring her joy the way her people do. She would be best as an only dog, and to be loved by a couple or single person. Her heart would likely explode with rainbow confetti if she were to finally find a lovingly committed person who will let her sleep in their bed at night.
She definitely needs someone with a sense of humour and that can continue to help her learn her manners in the home and someone who likes to keep food off the counters too! An opportunist, she is not destructive but also not always a mannerly pooch. Her main goal in life though will always be to be with her person as much as possible so if you think you can be the patient, loving, adventurous, and cuddle-buddy that Olive needs and wants in life, please apply online here : www.sitwithme.ca/olive
- Breed: Potcake
- Sex: Female
- Age: 3 yrs. 9 mos. old
- Size: 17 Kgs
- Colour: Black
- Spayed/Neutered: Yes
- Stage: Available
- Dogs: Ideally she would be the only dog. She can be polite meeting dogs appropriately (calm, introduction walks), but she is happiest as the only dog.
- Cats: No, thank you.
- Kids: As she has not had any exposure to children in our care, we are looking for a home with no kids or older, dog-savvy teens only.
- Housing Type: Single family home or townhome where some barking when left would be okay.
- Fenced-in yard: Required.
- Special: Olive would like someone home more often though can do a couple of full work days alone, like a split work week. The adopter must be willing to continue vet care at our vet in West Ottawa as well. Because of this, we are looking for a home in or around the Ottawa/Gatineau area. She will need to stay on flea/tick prevention until she receives a negative Accuplex test in September at the adopter's expense.
- Adoption fee: $750