Shadow and Shiloh
Shiloh is a sweet little dark coloured girl. She has been through a lot in her life, and so she is very timid. She wants to love with her whole heart but is unsure how to do so. When she is feeling like mighty mouse, she is like a little pop corn dancing around and pawing the air trying to get her humans to come and give her some lovin’. She is the biggest fan of her harnessed walks and food and likes to lounge outside in her fenced in area (when her allergy issues are acting up, lounging is best)! She will need a quiet home where she can take her time to come out of her shell, but she will eventually get there! She will need a quiet room with a crate and bed for her to retreat to when she is feeling overwhelmed as she learns to trust her humans. Shiloh is good with children as she currently lives with 2 children, but as she is so fearful of quick movement and any type of sudden noise, her healing journey will be harder for her with children. She is house trained but will need to be reminded to go outside as she likes to pick a spot and chill out and doesn’t like to wander around the house at first. She doesn’t know how to tell her human she needs to go out, but will try to hold it! She will not always let Shadow eat, so they need to be fed separately. She is not a fan of giving up her high resources, so trading is important.
Shadow is a funny white and beige boy with a very unique personality. With a resting face of unhappiness, its hard to tell what he is thinking. Rest assured, he is thinking “I love you, human”. Shadow is the leader of the two babes. If you cannot get Shiloh to go somewhere, bring Shadow first and Shiloh will be sure to follow. Shadow loves to be with his human, and definitely earns the name Shadow, as he will be your Shadow! Shadow loves walks and to explore, but he needs to be harnessed due to his trachea. Lounging in the fenced yard on harder days is best. Shadow dislikes loud noises and will be afraid if there are too many. He also needs patience and quiet, but he will come out of his shell much faster than his “sister”. He also will need a quiet area with a crate and bed for him to retreat to. He is house trained but will need to be brought outside regularly until he learns his humans are safe.
When outdoors, both dogs should be always harnessed and on leash as they have a tendency to wander off if you are not paying attention. They would fit in best with a calm family that likes to chill and go for a couple of walks per day. They are both good with dog-savvy cats who are non-reactive to dogs and can live with other dogs, but they must be calm, non-confrontational and easy-going. We think they would be happiest as the only 2 pups though but if the new family is willing to put in the work, we think they can accept another pooch in time. Apply at www.sitwithme.ca/shadowandshiloh
- Breed: Potcake Mix
- Sex: Male
- Age: 8 yrs. 9 mos. old
- Size: Medium
- Spayed/Neutered: Yes
- Stage: Available
- Dogs: Yes, calm and nonreactive, preferably older. They may be happiest in a dog-free placement.
- Cats: Yes, dog savvy cats
- Kids: 8+ and up may be fine as long as a calm home setting.
- Housing Type: Country, single or townhome where some barking okay when left. Preferably less stairs in and out.
- Fenced-Yard: Yes, required.
- Adoption fee: $750 for both dogs. They are altered, vaccinated, on heartworm and tick prevention, and microchipped. They have also been accuplex tested (heartworm and tick disease test). Adopters must commit to keeping their new dogs on tick prevention for this season and repeat accuplex tests in December with their vet to qualify for adoption.
- Special: Shadow has a collapsed trachea and needs a calm environment. Medication only needed on hand if coughing becomes persistent during a flare up. He requires a low-fat vet food (i/d or gastro low-fat). We are looking for a home in or around the Ottawa/Montreal area as Shadow still has continued vetting to cover (a dental via a specialized clinic in Montreal). Of note, Shiloh has seasonal allergies that cause her asthma-like symptoms and so a harness is recommended. Shiloh is hypothyroid and on daily, low cost medication. She requires annual bloodwork to ensure her medication dosage is accurate.