Sprite is such a sweet dog. She loves deeply and is an obliging cuddler, if you will have her. She is smart, eager to please and super cute. She loves to go for long walks and while she pulls initially in excitement, this quickly lessens as she heads out for her 4km walk. Yes, this gal loves to play, loves to investigate, loves to go on adventures and would love a dedicated human to continue the great work her foster mom has started. She’s looking to be someone’s heart-dog and we know she has all the makings to be exactly that for her future person/couple, but she still has work ahead, so keep reading!
When meeting new people, treats go a long way. Sometimes she will bark if she is unsure, but she can easily be won over with kindness and FOOD! That sweet wiggle butt of hers is the best! Food is a great tool to encourage this gal to be brave in a sometimes overwhelming world. Forced handling or loud voices can overwhelm Sprite and so this delicate flower (she’s really not that delicate) would love someone who will encourage her in life.
Sprite is a playful and sometimes over-exuberant as a canine play buddy. She never means anything malicious by her rough or excited play, but this is why it is important that any dog in the home is non-confrontational. She does not share food or toys well with other dogs and so while we believe she would love having another playful dog in the home, the toys/bones/food will need to be properly managed (put away when both dogs are out). She may be okay with cats based on her shelter assessment but we have not yet tested her. Hopefully we can do so soon.
When she is over-aroused (often when her person comes home), she does not manage that excitement boost well. She then becomes “nippy”. She is not trying to be difficult or aggressive, but she does need to be let outside and ignored until she calms down on her own. This is why small kids in the home are not ideal even though when she is calmer, she does well to say hello and hang out. This behaviour will need to be managed calmly and as such, she will need a dedicated human to work with her to be the best girl she can be.
Sprite struggled with crate training due to a neglectful past. We worked very hard to find a solution because Sprite was such a sweet girl and we did not want her past to define her. We discovered after working through many options, that having an empty room for her, along with an open crate with a blanket, a few bones, a few toys and some treat puzzles was the solution! She now happily runs to her room when her foster mom has to head out and can be left for hours at a time without an accident. Of course, she does get stressed which is why we are hoping to find someone that works from home, works shorter days at the office, or only works a couple of days a week instead of the usual 5.
Sprite is the most endearing, beautiful, dedicated, loving and cuddly gal a person can ask for but she also needs some help to be the best girl she can. She has a super wiggle butt, will happily share your bed at night and keep you safe from all of the monsters underneath, and gives pretty great kisses too. If you have the dedication to be this girl’s forever person, please complete an application here: http://www.sitwithme.ca/
- Breed: American Bulldog Mix
- Sex: Female
- Age: 1 yr. 7 mos. old
- Size: Medium
- Colour: White / Silver
- Spayed/Neutered: Yes
- Stage: Available
- Dogs: Yes to a friendly, similar sized and non-confrontational (playful) dog. Meet and greet near Ottawa required.
- Cats: Not sure, we will update when we know but for now, no.
- Kids: No, thank you. She actually is friendly with kids but a kid-free home life is needed (keep reading).
- Housing: Detached only – no attached housing!
- Fenced-in Yard: Required or a private country setting where she would be always supervised (ie. never left out alone) on a long line could work too instead of a fence!
- Special Needs: Sprite has separation anxiety. We have discovered that an empty room with an open crate and lots of puzzles and bones does the trick! She can now be left successfully but we are looking for a home where someone is home more often. To apply, you must have a designated room in the home for this muffin.
- *Sprite has bully features and as such, we will only place her within Ottawa or outside of Ontario within 2 hours of Ottawa where there is no breed specific legislation. She needs a meet and greet before being matched and so the home must be within driving distance.*